What is Career Development?
At the Experiential Learning and Career Development Center, we view career development as a lifelong process. However, choices made during the college years are significant in setting the foundation for future professional options. Our services promote better understanding of the career development process by enhancing the linkage of academic and experiential learning experiences thereby improving career preparation and management. Our services extend from first-year through alumni status.
Student Quick Links
- Graduate and Professional School Day Attendees
- Listen to Our Podcasts!
- Four Year Career Plan
- For Credit Internship Learning Agreement
Graduate Quick Links
Choosing a Major
One of the toughest decisions you may be faced with at Albright College is choosing your major(s) followed by your career upon graduation. The best decisions are usually made when you have the most information. Here are some resources to assist you during your decision-making process. Most students, from first-years through seniors, experience some confusion when it comes to learning about major opportunities and careers options. The resources below are a good place to start.
Tips and Resources
- Determine your skills and interests by taking advantage of the career testing/assessment tools available at the Center.
- Schedule an appointment with a career counselor to talk about your skills, interests, values and how they relate to career paths or major(s).
- See what majors/co-majors/special programs Albright offers by viewing the College Catalog.
- Review the major/co-major/special program information including course descriptions and speak with both upper-class students and professors in the departments that appeal to you or within the major you have already selected.
- Check out the O*NET database which includes Career Exploration Tools. You can also search O*NET occupations based on key attributes and characteristics including skills, abilities, interests, and work values. My Next Move is an interactive tool that allows you to learn more about careers through keyword search, browsing by industries or based on interests.
- Have a specific occupation in mind? Check out the Occupational Outlook Handbook which offers additional information about career fields and job titles including education/training needed, salary information, possible employers and much more!
- View one of over 300 career videos at careeronestop.
- Conduct informational interviews and network with people that are in fields that interest you. Start with our Purple Briefcase Mentors and your professors.
- Visit our resource library which features over 200 different selections on career topics, ranging from accounting to zoology.
- Descriptions of 2017’s Most In Demand Jobs
After you do some researching through the above sites, call or email the Center to schedule an appointment with a career counselor to discuss the information you discovered and to obtain additional information!
Want to Go to Grad School?
We are up on the ins and outs of the graduate school application process including writing your personal statement. We also host an annual Graduate and Professional School Fair each fall semester.
Review the Graduate Application Process Guide, Graduate and Professional School Testing Information, and the Guide to Writing Your Personal Statement and schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor to search programs, discuss the application process, and get help with your personal statement.
Check the following links to help you start researching graduate program and the links on your right for more information about graduation/professional school admission testing.
Partnering with the Experiential Learning and Career Development Center provides a NO COST way to support your Alma mater. You can give back to Albright in time by assisting students and recent alumni in several ways.
You have an opportunity to share your career knowledge, expertise, and insights with our students by becoming a mentor. As a mentor, you can offer to provide any or all of the following services: conduct informational interviews or network with students via phone, email or in person; provide a shadowing opportunity; help students practice the art of interviewing through mock interviews; provide resume/cover letter critiques and much more!
Each semester, the Experiential Learning and Career Development Center hosts programs that include alumni/professionals in panel discussions, networking events, and many other programs. If you are interested in assisting in an upcoming program or in being a mentor, please contact the Experiential Learning and Career Development Center to learn more.
You can also assist our students by posting full-time, part-time, seasonal, or internship opportunities, which will provide a career-related work experience for an Albright student during the school year, January Interim, or over the summer. To register for Purple Briefcase as an Employer, see below.
Please contact us at 610-921-7630 or e-mail email@example.com with any questions about “Purple Briefcase” or additional opportunities to get involved.
A powerful online career network connecting employers, students, alumni, and staff.
Purple Briefcase allows employers to:
- Post and manage part-time, full-time employment and internship opportunities as well as register for On-Campus Interviewing, Career Fairs and additional campus events.
- Create a visual profile on your company that is searchable by Albright students and lets our students get to know your company in more ways than simply a logo.
- Conduct searches for qualified applicants and view students’ visual profiles that can outline their work history, academic accolades, and extracurricular info.
Whether you are a first year student or have graduated, Purple Briefcase is an important source of information, career related events, and career exploration tools. You are able to:
- View and apply for jobs and internships online
- Create a profile and upload resume for employer viewing
- Watch over 400 videos focused on career preparation
- Ask career related questions
- Rsvp to ELCDC events
- Schedule appointments with ELCDC staff
- Access all of this through the Albright College Purple Briefcase App!
- and SO much more!
Log in or register to get started on Purple Briefcase today!