Campus Security Authority (CSA) – Albright College

Campus Security Authority (CSA)

Campus Security Authority FAQ

What is a CSA?

A Campus security authority (CSA) is a Clery-specific term that encompasses four groups of individuals and organizations associated with an institution.

  • A campus police department or a campus security department of an institution.
  • Any individual or individuals who have responsibility for campus security but who do not constitute a campus police department or a campus security department (e.g., an individual who is responsible for monitoring the entrance into institutional property).
  • Any individual or organization specified in an institution’s statement of campus security policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses.
  • An official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including, but not limited to, student housing, student discipline and campus judicial proceedings. An official is defined as any person who has the authority and the duty to take action or respond to particular issues on behalf of the institution.

Some examples of CSAs are:

  • a director who oversees student housing, a student center, or student extracurricular activities
  • an athletic director and an athletic team coach
  • a resident assistant
  • a faculty advisor to a student group or club

Who is not a CSA?

You are exempt from reporting when you are acting as a pastoral or professional counselor.  For this purpose:

  • A Pastoral Counselor is a person who (1) is associated with a religious order or denomination, (2) is recognized by that religious order or denomination as someone who provides confidential counseling, and (3) is functioning within the scope of that recognition as a pastoral counselor.
  • A professional Counselor is a person (1) whose official responsibilities include providing mental health counseling to members of the institution’s community and (2) who is functioning within the scope of his or her license or certification.

Other persons who have significant responsibility for student and campus activities are not exempt from reporting if they counsel or advise students and employees, even if they do so in confidence.

What if I don’t want to be a CSA?

If your job function involves a significant responsibility for student and campus activities, you are a CSA per federal law and must follow the requirements for CSAs.

What are my responsibilities?

Your responsibility is to report criminal incidents that occur on campus or on Albright College affiliated property to the Albright Department of Public Safety.  It is not necessary for the crime to have been investigated by Public Safety or a campus security authority, nor must a finding of guilt or responsibility by made to disclose the statistic.

What crimes do I need to report?

Homicide, Aggravated Assault, Sexual Assault, Robbery, Burglary, Motor Vehicle Theft, Arson, Weapon  Violations (e.g. Possession, Brandishing), Alcohol Violation (e.g. Underage Consumption), Drug Violations, and Hate Crimes.

The attempts to commit any of these crimes must also be reported.  Definitions of each crime can be found at

When do I report a crime?

You should report the crime as soon as it is reported to you.  CSAs must notify Albright Public Safety of all reports of Clery Act crimes.  CSAs who are unsure whether an incident is a Clery Act crime should report it.  CSAs are not responsible for determining authoritatively whether a crime took place.

How do I get training on being a CSA?

To acquaint and assist you with your duties, Albright Public Safety will provide in-person training to CSAs.  Please contact Becki Achey, Associate Director of Public Safety, at 610-929-6764 or email for more information about CSA training.