Housing FAQs – Albright College

Housing FAQs

Returning Student Housing FAQs

Where can I find important dates for Housing Selection?

You will be emailed all dates related to the Returning Student Housing Selection during the spring semester.

Who is a commuter student?

A student living with a parent or legal guardian whose permanent residence is within 30 driving miles of Albright College’s main campus.

Who is an off-campus student?

A student who is approved to reside at a location other than their permanent address, college-owned housing, or college-managed housing.

Who is a resident student?

A traditional full-time undergraduate student living in college-owned or college-managed residential areas.

What if I already live off-campus? Do I need to come back to campus?

All students will need to complete the housing form annually regardless of current residency status. Students who are 22 year of age or older by August 1, 2023, are married, have a child, are a military veteran, or meet the criteria to be a commuter student are eligible to live off-campus. In order to live off-campus, you must be eligible and complete an application which must be submitted by the deadline. You will be notified of the status of your application through your official Albright email.

I submitted my Commuter/Off-Campus Application, when will I receive a decision?

Applications will be processed on a rolling basis. Whenever possible, decisions will be distributed before housing selection begins. Applications must be submitted by the deadline to be considered.

What if my family (and my permanent address) move outside of the commutable distance mid-year? Will I be asked to move back onto campus?

You are required to keep the College apprised of any changes in permanent residency—significant changes may affect eligibility to live off-campus. Please contact the Office of Residential Life if this is a circumstance that is affecting you.

Where can I find the housing costs?

Housing costs for the 2023-2024 academic year will be released prior to housing selection.

What happens if I do not complete the Housing Form?

You will be unable to register for courses until you complete the Housing Form.

What if I do not select a room during Housing Selection?

After completing the Housing Form, students should participate in Housing Selection. If a student fails to participate in Housing Selection, unless approved for off-campus or commuter status, they will be assigned to available space and the default Gold Carte Blanche meal plan.

What if I do not select a meal plan during Housing Selection?

The Gold, Silver, or Bronze meal plans are required for students living in the traditional residence halls (Crowell Hall, Krause Hall, Mohn Hall, North Hall, Smith Hall, Walton Hall, and the new building). If you live in one of these areas and do not select a meal plan you will be assigned the default Gold meal plan. If you live in Affinity Housing or Rockland Hall, you are not required to have a meal plan but may select any of the meal plan options.

Is there a housing deposit?

No, there is not a housing deposit. Students that select to live in Affinity Housing or Rockland Hall are required to pay a security deposit. The security deposit for Affinity Housing is $300 and the security deposit for Rockland Hall is $350.

If I take a summer course, am I required to live on campus during the summer?

No, you are not required to live on campus during the summer.

I have questions that are not answered here, where do I go?

Please email reslife@albright.edu with any questions that you have.

Incoming Student FAQs

What types of items are not permitted on campus?

Items such as multi-bulb lamps exceeding 3 bulbs, halogen lamps, space heaters, candles and any other items with an open flame that may be a fire hazard are not permitted on campus. Please note that this list is not inclusive. Please refer to the Community Living Guide for more details.

What if I don’t get along with my roommate?

Students are asked to report emergency situations or concerns with rooming to Residential Life for any
considerations. Students experiencing concerns with a roommate or peer must seek mediation with their
resident assistant or professional staff member. No room changes will be considered without a roommate
mediation, unless it is a mutually agreed-upon room-swap, and no room changes will occur without the explicit approval from Residential Life.

Do students bring their own computers to campus?

Although there are various computer centers on campus available for student usage, many students will bring their own personal computers and laptops to campus. All residence hall locations will have wireless service to connect to the Internet.

What is an RA?

RA is an acronym for Resident Assistant. An RA is here to tend to residents’ needs. They are highly trained in the following areas: safety, campus resources, programming, promoting a welcoming environment, and implementing the policies set forth by the College. There is an RA on duty each night. It is the RA’s job to do rounds throughout the evening in order to make sure there are no problems within the residence hall.

Who will help me with questions once I arrive?

All first-year students are welcomed by resident assistants (RAs), peer orientation persons (POPs), area coordinators (ACs), and an assistant director (AD). Resident assistants are trained to help with any needs you may have. Area coordinators and assistant directors are full-time professional staff members who may reside within the residence halls. Area coordinators and assistant directors implement a comprehensive residential program that supports the personal growth and development of resident students.

Is there a housing deposit?

No, there is not a housing deposit. Students that select to live in Affinity Housing or Rockland Hall are required to pay a security deposit. The security deposit for Affinity Housing is $300 and the security deposit for Rockland Hall is $350.