Paula Trimpey, M.F.A.
Associate Professor of Theatre & Fashion, Costume Shop Coordinator
M.F.A. in Costume Design, Wayne State University
B.A. in Theatre, Messiah College
Paula Trimpey is currently serving as Associate Professor of Theatre and Fashion Design at Albright College. She received her Bachelors of Arts in Theatre from Messiah College, Grantham, PA and a Master of Fine Arts from Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan where she was a member of the Hilberry Theatre Company.
Paula has held positions in the Theatre Departments at Dixie State College, Huntington University and Fredonia State University. In the professional theatre arena, she has designed and served as Costume Director at the Tuacahn Fine and Performing Arts Center in southern Utah, worked with touring Broadway shows through Troika Entertainment, and has held various positions and designed shows for twenty-nine years with the Utah Shakespearean Festival that won a Tony Award for outstanding Regional Theatre in 2000.
In the fashion industry Paula has worked in contracting and manufacturing of clothing for Osh Kosh B’gosh, Izod Lacoste, Lane Bryant, Bobbi Gayle, Speedo Sportswear, and American Vogue Designer, Albert Nipon. She presently works with cottages industries As You Like it Clothier and Up Your Kilt at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire as a shirt and doublet designer.
In addition to her teaching responsibilities, Paula designs costumes and manages the Costume and Clothing Construction Studio for the Fashion and Theatre Departments. She encourages independent research in period clothing construction and has provided annual workshops in period corset making. Paula is a member of the United States Institute of Theatre Technology.
Areas of Expertise
Costume Technology that includes patternmaking and draping, tailoring, period clothing construction, corsetry Applied Design and costume crafts.
- Stage Costuming
- Costume Construction
- Stage Makeup
- Patternmaking and Draping
- Advanced Clothing Construction
- Hats Off to Millinery
- Applied Design
- Senior Seminar in Fashion
- Senior Seminar in Costume Design
Publications and Research
Albright Creative Research Projects (ACRE)
- Classical Ballet Tutu Design and Construction with Lindsey Jones (2017)
- The Simple Sheath Dress: A Challenge in Creative Pattern Making with Alfredo Diaz (2017)
- Then and Now: The History and Evolution of the Clerical Stole with Alexandra Seda (2014)
- From Fleece to Yarn: An Exploration of Textile Hand Spinning, with Susan Benitez (2013)
- Attire of a Female Leader in the Byzantine Era with Carrie Rivera (2013)
- Tight Lace Corsets and Corset construction with Kayla Haruluck (2008)
- Sabbatical Presentation/Facul-Tea, Vestment Construction, Albright College, Reading PA (2015)
- Exploring the Personal Wardrobe: The Gene London Collection, USITT International Conference, Charlotte, NC (2011)
- Basic is Fabric Dying, Theatre Department; Costume Dept., Albright College, Reading, PA (2017)
- Renaissance Corset Making, Theatre Department with West Chester University Theatre And Theatre Department at Albright College, Reading PA (2016)
- Corset Making, Theatre Department, Albright College, Reading PA (2015)
- Pattern Making for Victorian Fashion West Chester University, West Chester, PA (2015)
- Creative Pleating, Penn State Fashion Review, State College, PA (2013)
- Corset Making, Fashion Department, AC, Reading, PA (2011)
- Mask Making, PA State Thespian Conference, York, PA (2009)
- Life Casting, PA State Thespian Conference, York, PA (2009)
- Corset Making, Fashion Department, AC, Reading, PA (2009)
- Mask Making and Life Casting, Domino Players Lock-In, Presenter, AC, Reading, PA (2008)
- Corset Making, Fashion Department, AC, Reading, PA (2008)