Paula E. Trimpey, M.F.A.
Professor of Fashion, Costume Studio Manager
M.F.A. in Costume Design, Wayne State University
B.A. in Theatre, Messiah College
Paula E. Trimpey currently serves as a Professor of Fashion at Albright College in Reading, Pennsylvania. She received her Bachelor of Arts in Theatre from Messiah University, Grantham, Pennsylvania, and a Master of Fine Arts from Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan. While at Wayne State, Paula was a member of the Hilberry Theatre Company where she focused her studies in costume design and technology.
Paula has held positions in the Theatre Departments at Dixie State University, Huntington University, and Fredonia State University. In the professional theatre arena, she has designed and served as Costume Director at the Tuacahn Fine and Performing Arts Center in southern Utah, worked with touring Broadway shows through Troika Entertainment, and designed shows and held various other positions for 34 years with the Tony award-winning Utah Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City, Utah.
In the fashion industry, Paula has worked with contractors in manufacturing of clothing for OshKosh B’gosh, Izod Lacoste, Lane Bryant, Bobbi Gayle, Speedo Sportswear, and American Vogue Designer, Albert Nipon. She presently works with local cottage industries, As You Like it Clothier and Up Your Kilt, at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire as a shirt and doublet designer.
Paula manages the Costume Studio for the Fashion Department. Her primary focus lies in Costume Technology which includes period patternmaking and draping, tailoring, period clothing construction, corsetry and applied design. She encourages independent research in period clothing construction and has provided annual workshops in Victorian and Renaissance corset making. Paula is a member of the United States Institute of Theatre Technology.
Areas of Expertise
Costume Technology that includes patternmaking and draping, tailoring, period clothing construction, corsetry, applied design and costume crafts.
Areas of Research
Albright Creative Research Projects (ACRE)
- Classical Ballet Tutu Design and Construction with Lindsey Jones (2017)
- The Simple Sheath Dress: A Challenge in Creative Pattern Making with Alfredo Diaz (2017)
- Then and Now: The History and Evolution of the Clerical Stole with Alexandra Seda (2014)
- From Fleece to Yarn: An Exploration of Textile Hand Spinning, with Susan Benitez (2013)
- Attire of a Female Leader in the Byzantine Era with Carrie Rivera (2013)
- Tight Lace Corsets and Corset construction with Kayla Haruluck (2008)
- Sabbatical Presentation/Facul-Tea, Vestment Construction, Albright College, Reading PA (2015)
- Exploring the Personal Wardrobe: The Gene London Collection, USITT International Conference, Charlotte, NC (2011)
- Basic is Fabric Dying, Theatre Department; Costume Dept., Albright College, Reading, PA (2017)
- Renaissance Corset Making, Theatre Department with West Chester University Theatre And Theatre Department at Albright College, Reading PA (2016)
- Corset Making, Theatre Department, Albright College, Reading PA (2015)
- Pattern Making for Victorian Fashion West Chester University, West Chester, PA (2015)
- Creative Pleating, Penn State Fashion Review, State College, PA (2013)
- Corset Making, Fashion Department, AC, Reading, PA (2011)
- Mask Making, PA State Thespian Conference, York, PA (2009)
- Life Casting, PA State Thespian Conference, York, PA (2009)
- Corset Making, Fashion Department, AC, Reading, PA (2009)
- Mask Making and Life Casting, Domino Players Lock-In, Presenter, AC, Reading, PA (2008)
- Corset Making, Fashion Department, AC, Reading, PA (2008)
- Stage Costuming
- Costume Construction
- Stage Makeup
- Patternmaking and Draping
- Advanced Clothing Construction
- Hats Off to Millinery
- Applied Design
- Senior Seminar in Fashion
- Senior Seminar in Costume Design