Selwyn Hall-South was originally built in 1836 as Linden Hall, a private residence, and houses the offices of Student Affairs, dean of students and Student Accounts. Selwyn Hall-North, home of the Admissions Office, was constructed in 1928 as a dining hall and women’s dormitory.
Gingrich Library and Administration Building
Named after F. Wilbur Gingrich (1901-1993), the library is strategically located at the center of campus and houses more than 200,000 books, periodicals, records, audiovisual materials and a wealth of digital resources. College administration occupies the first floor of the building.
Masters Hall was constructed in 1920 and dedicated in honor of Harry Victor Masters (1902-1983), Albright’s former president, in 1965. Masters is currently home to the English & Communications, History, Education and Foreign Language departments, the Writing Center, Digital Language Lab and the Graduate Division.
Merner-Pfeiffer-Klein “Memorial Chapel”
Constructed in 1958, the chapel seats 900 people and is the largest space on campus for lectures and events. The interior of Memorial Chapel was renovated in 2008 and again in 2010 and is named after The Reverend J. Warren Klein (1872-1957), dean of the faculty in 1932, and donors Henry and Annie Merner Pfeiffer.
Center for Computing and Mathematics
Built in 1989, the Center for Computing and Mathematics is home to the computer science and mathematics departments, three computer labs, a SunStation Lab, Information Technology Services and Client Services.
Teel Hall, built in 1929, was originally dedicated as the Evangelical School of Theology and referred to as “The Angel Factory.” Currently named after Albright’s first president, Warren F. Teel, D.D., it now houses psychology, Kachel Chapel and the Psychology Department’s research center.
Located in Teel Hall, Kachel Chapel is named after Charles E. Kachel, D.D. ’24, director of religious activities from 1936 to 1942. An historic 19th century building, the chapel contains the original leaded glass windows, original crown molding, a grand piano and a swell organ.
Alumni Memorial Hall
Originally built in 1892 as a gymnasium, the building was remodeled and dedicated as Alumni Memorial Library in 1936. (more than 20 alumni and faculty are memorialized in this building). It currently houses the Fashion, Merchandising, Textiles & Design department and the Digital Media department.
Sylvan Pond and Chapel
Built in 1773 as a springhouse for the farm that once operated here, Sylvan Chapel is the oldest building on campus. It was converted into a chapel during World War II. The chapel’s pulpit and benches came from Jacob Albright’s original church. Sylvan Pond, originally a nearby spring-fed lake, was renovated, with gardens, in 2007.
The Science Center, a LEED-certified building, houses Merner-Pfeiffer Hall of Science, the Clarence A. Horn Wing and Trustee Hall. The complex offers state-of-the-art laboratory and classroom space for biology, biotechnology, chemistry and biochemistry, physics, optics, psychobiology, environmental science, environmental chemistry & environmental studies, and pre-med, pre-dentistry and pre-veterinary medicine.
Lex O. McMillan III Student Center
The McMillan Student Center is home to the College’s bookstore, dining hall, Jake’s Place, Jake’s Java, the main lounge, mailroom, Klein Lecture Hall and student organization offices. Lex O. McMillan III, Ph.D., president from 2005 to 2017, oversaw construction of the new Science Center, Roessner Hall, the Schumo Center for Fitness and Well-Being and raised more than 100 million dollars for the College during two campaigns. In 2017, the Campus Center was renamed the Lex O. McMillan III Student Center in his honor.
Dedicated in 2012 and located in front of the Campus Center, Kraras Commons was made possible through the generosity of Albright Trustee Christ G. Kraras ’69 and his wife, Ann Kraras.
Baily Way was made possible by a gift from Albright Trustee John T. Baily ‘65 and his wife, Donna Baily. It was dedicated on May 4, 2012.
Center for the Arts
Dedicated in 1991, the CFA is home to the music, theatre and art programs. The center features soundproof rehearsal rooms and art studios, and is home to the Freedman Gallery (ranked in the top 10 college art galleries nationally), Roop Hall (an acoustically correct recital hall), and Wachovia Theatre, where Albright’s award-winning Domino Players Theatre Company performs.
This historic farmhouse, originally named Sherman Cottage, was renamed the V. Lester and Maryann Pushman Cottage in 1994. In the 1940s and 1950s, Pushman Cottage served as a residence and lab for home economics students. The building now houses the Alumni Relations Office.
Built in 1971 and originally called North Hall, it was renamed Mohn Hall in 1981 after Jeremiah H. Gerner Mohn (1839-1919), one of the first trustees of Albright College in Myerstown. Mohn Hall serves as honors housing for students with a sufficient grade point avereage and has its own computer lab and study rooms.
Constructed in the 1960s, the Quad contains Walton Hall, Krause Hall, Crowell Hall and Smith Hall in honor of: John Franklin Crowell (1857-1931), the first principal at Schuylkill Seminary and editor of The Wall Street Journal; Lewis D. Krause (1843-1935), a trustee of Schuylkill Seminary; Louis E. Smith ’21 (1892-1971), professor of economics and history; and George W. Walton (1892-1986) professor of biology and geology and dean of Albright College until 1929.
North Hall was built in 1981 and was the northernmost point of campus at that time. North Hall houses upperclassmen in special-interest suites. Twelve students share a common area, six bedrooms and a laundry facility.
A co-educational residence hall, the distinctive art-deco facade of Albright Court is a Reading landmark. Originally built as a hotel, Albright Court was purchased by the College in 1952.
The Albright Woods Apartments
The Albright Woods apartments house 160 upperclassmen. Apartments include two bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen and a bathroom. The surrounding open space is used for special events including the annual Oozeball Tournament.
Renovated in 2000 with a new infield, dugouts and scoreboard, Kelchner Field is home to the Albright baseball team. A new warning track and outfield fence were added in 2010 to improve safety for both players and spectators. Named aftere Charles S. “Pop” Kelchner (1875-1958), professor of Latin and baseball coach at Albright in 1898. In 2008 he was inducted into the Reading Baseball Hall of Fame as a baseball pioneer.
ocated between Teel Hall and the Albright College Science Center, this beautiful, open space is used for intramural activities and a variety of large outdoor events.
Situated in front of North Hall is an athletic field used primarily for intramural sports and team practices. It is also a great place for sunbathing, snowball fights and impromptu games of soccer or ultimate Frisbee.
Situated in front of North Hall is the softball diamond. It is home to the Albright College softball team.
Albright offers six all-weather tennis courts, which serve as home to both the women’s and men’s tennis teams.
Albright has six outdoor basketball courts which are lit for evening play by intramurals and basketball camps. These courts were built in 2009 on the site of the former Armory Building. The courts can also be used for overflow parking during large events on campus.
In July 2010, John K. Roessner III ’61 gave Albright College a $1 million gift through the John K. Roessner III Trust to provide the start-up costs of intercollegiate lacrosse for men and women at Albright. The Board named a new multi-purpose playing field, “Roessner Field,” to honor his generous support.
John K. Roessner III ’61 Hall: The Center for Business and Civic Leadership
With 30,000 square feet of state-of-the-art classrooms, offices and meeting spaces, Roessner Hall is home to the economics and business, accounting, and political science departments, as well as the Center for Excellence in Local Government and the offices of the Accelerated Degree Program.
Berks Community Media Center
The new home of WXAC and BCTV, the Berks Community Media Center is a partnership aimed at serving the greater Reading community and strengthening the already robust experiential learning initiatives with students in the communications, digital communications and digital video arts programs.
Schumo Center for Fitness and Well-Being
Built in 2007 with generous gifts from Margaret K. Schumo, the Schumo Center for Fitness and Well-Being offers programming for students, staff and the community, as well as a full array of cardio and free-weight equipment. The center is also home to Peg’s Café, which offers healthy foods and drinks.
The Bollman Center, constructed in 1950, can seat up to 2,200 for an event. The gym can be set up for basketball, volleyball, badminton or wrestling. The Red & White Room, a VIP suite, overlooks the playing court. The Bollman Center also houses the Athletics offices, locker rooms and physical training facilities. Albright has a full-time, ATA-certified trainer on staff. George C. Bollman ’21 (1904-1971) graduated from Schuylkill Seminary and was a versatile athlete who competed in football, baseball, basketball and track, and he served as president of the Albright Board of Trustees from 1953 until 1971. Albright awarded him an honorary doctorate in 1961.
Scholl LifeSports Center
Named after Albright Hall of Famer, John Scholl ‘69, a three-sport star athlete in basketball, track and baseball , The Scholl LifeSports Center includes an indoor track and field facility (four-lane, 1/10 mile track) and can also be used for basketball (four courts), tennis, and as a practice facility for other athletic teams. The facility offers raquetball courts, a group fitness room and a birds-eye view of Gene Shirk Stadium.
The natatorium is home to a six-lane, 25-yard pool. The facility is home to Albright’s championship men’s and women’s swim teams. It also offers aqua-aerobics, aqua-jogging, open swim, learn-to-swim classes, a junior swim team, and activities open to the community.
Gene Shirk Stadium
Built in 2005 to replace the original stadium built in 1909, the stadium is home to football, field hockey, soccer and several additional sports teams. Gene L. Shirk (1902-1994) was a distinguished scholar, athlete and leader. Following World War II he joined Albright College as a math professor and coach. During his tenure at Albright he took two leaves of absence to serve as City mayor and was nationally recognized as the country’s oldest college coach in any sport. He was married to professor emerita of English, Annadora Vesper Shirk, Ph.D.
Founders Wall was established by the Board of Trustees as an expression of gratitude for visionary leaders, past and present, who have supported the mission of Albright College. It was made possible by a gift from President and Mrs. Lex O. McMillan III and was dedicated on May 4, 2012.
The Camp Building
The Camp Building is home to several administrative offices within two divisions of the College – Advancement and Administrative & Financial Services. The administrative offices include: the Vice President for Advancement Office; Development; College Relations & Marketing; the Vice President for Administrative & Financial Services Office; Human Resources; Facilities Services & Operations; and the Controller’s Office.