Visiting Albright’s 160+ year old campus? Be sure to look up and around! The campus is full of beautiful sculptures and stately trees.
Campus Tour Video
Learn more about Albright’s historic campus by clicking arrows at the edge of the photos below.
Selwyn Hall-South was originally built in 1836 as Linden Hall, a private residence, and houses the offices of Student Affairs, dean of students and Student Accounts. Selwyn Hall-North, home of the Admissions Office, was constructed in 1928 as a dining hall and women’s dormitory.
Gingrich Library and Administration Building
Named after F. Wilbur Gingrich (1901-1993), the library is strategically located at the center of campus and houses more than 200,000 books, periodicals, records, audiovisual materials and a wealth of digital resources. College administration occupies the first floor of the building.
Masters Hall was constructed in 1920 and dedicated in honor of Harry Victor Masters (1902-1983), Albright’s former president, in 1965. Masters is currently home to the English & Communications, History, Education and Foreign Language departments, Digital Language Lab and the Graduate Division.
Merner-Pfeiffer-Klein “Memorial Chapel”
Constructed in 1958, the chapel seats 900 people and is the largest space on campus for lectures and events. The interior of Memorial Chapel was renovated in 2008 and again in 2010 and is named after The Reverend J. Warren Klein (1872-1957), dean of the faculty in 1932, and donors Henry and Annie Merner Pfeiffer.
Center for Computing and Mathematics
Built in 1989, the Center for Computing and Mathematics is home to the computer science and mathematics departments, three computer labs, a SunStation Lab, Digital Stategy and Infrastructure, Client Services and library staff.
Teel Hall, built in 1929, was originally dedicated as the Evangelical School of Theology and referred to as “The Angel Factory.” Currently named after Albright’s first president, Warren F. Teel, D.D., it now houses psychology, Kachel Chapel and the Psychology Department’s research center.
Located in Teel Hall, Kachel Chapel is named after Charles E. Kachel, D.D. ’24, director of religious activities from 1936 to 1942. An historic 19th century building, the chapel contains the original leaded glass windows, original crown molding, a grand piano and a swell organ.
Alumni Memorial Hall
Originally built in 1892 as a gymnasium, the building was remodeled and dedicated as Alumni Memorial Library in 1936. (more than 20 alumni and faculty are memorialized in this building). It currently houses the Fashion, Merchandising, Textiles & Design department and the Digital Media department.
Sylvan Pond and Chapel
Built in 1773 as a springhouse for the farm that once operated here, Sylvan Chapel is the oldest building on campus. It was converted into a chapel during World War II. The chapel’s pulpit and benches came from Jacob Albright’s original church. Sylvan Pond, originally a nearby spring-fed lake, was renovated, with gardens, in 2007.
The Science Center, a LEED-certified building, houses Merner-Pfeiffer Hall of Science, the Clarence A. Horn Wing and Trustee Hall. The complex offers state-of-the-art laboratory and classroom space for biology, biotechnology, chemistry and biochemistry, physics, optics, psychobiology, environmental science, environmental chemistry & environmental studies, and pre-med, pre-dentistry and pre-veterinary medicine.
Lex O. McMillan III Student Center
The McMillan Student Center is home to the College’s bookstore, dining hall, Jake’s Place, Jake’s Java, the Writing Center, the main lounge, mailroom, Klein Lecture Hall and student organization offices. Lex O. McMillan III, Ph.D., president from 2005 to 2017, oversaw construction of the new Science Center, Roessner Hall, the Schumo Center for Fitness and Well-Being and raised more than 100 million dollars for the College during two campaigns. In 2017, the Campus Center was renamed the Lex O. McMillan III Student Center in his honor.
Dedicated in 2012 and located in front of the Campus Center, Kraras Commons was made possible through the generosity of Albright Trustee Christ G. Kraras ’69 and his wife, Ann Kraras.
Baily Way was made possible by a gift from Albright Trustee John T. Baily ‘65 and his wife, Donna Baily. It was dedicated on May 4, 2012.
Center for the Arts
Dedicated in 1991, the CFA is home to the music, theatre and art programs. The center features soundproof rehearsal rooms and art studios, and is home to the Freedman Gallery (ranked in the top 10 college art galleries nationally), Roop Hall (an acoustically correct recital hall), and Wachovia Theatre, where Albright’s award-winning Domino Players Theatre Company performs.
This historic farmhouse, originally named Sherman Cottage, was renamed the V. Lester and Maryann Pushman Cottage in 1994. In the 1940s and 1950s, Pushman Cottage served as a residence and lab for home economics students. The building now houses the Alumni Relations Office.
Built in 1971 and originally called North Hall, it was renamed Mohn Hall in 1981 after Jeremiah H. Gerner Mohn (1839-1919), one of the first trustees of Albright College in Myerstown. Mohn Hall serves as honors housing for students with a sufficient grade point avereage and has its own computer lab and study rooms.
Constructed in the 1960s, the Quad contains Walton Hall, Krause Hall, Crowell Hall and Smith Hall in honor of: John Franklin Crowell (1857-1931), the first principal at Schuylkill Seminary and editor of The Wall Street Journal; Lewis D. Krause (1843-1935), a trustee of Schuylkill Seminary; Louis E. Smith ’21 (1892-1971), professor of economics and history; and George W. Walton (1892-1986) professor of biology and geology and dean of Albright College until 1929.
North Hall was built in 1981 and was the northernmost point of campus at that time. North Hall houses upperclassmen in special-interest suites. Twelve students share a common area, six bedrooms and a laundry facility.
A co-educational residence hall, the distinctive art-deco facade of Albright Court is a Reading landmark. Originally built as a hotel, Albright Court was purchased by the College in 1952.
The Albright Woods Apartments
The Albright Woods apartments house 160 upperclassmen. Apartments include two bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen and a bathroom. The surrounding open space is used for special events including the annual Oozeball Tournament.
Situated in front of North Hall is an athletic field used primarily for intramural sports and team practices. It is also a great place for sunbathing, snowball fights and impromptu games of soccer or ultimate Frisbee.
Named after Charles S. “Pop” Kelchner (1875-1958), professor of Latin and baseball coach at Albright in 1898. In 2008 he was inducted into the Reading Baseball Hall of Fame as a baseball pioneer.
Situated in front of North Hall is the softball diamond. It is home to the Albright College softball team. Marguerite DeLucas '14, admission counselor and head softball coach, was named MAC Commonwealth Coach of the year in her first year as head coach, leading the Lions into the postseason for the first time since 2007.
Albright offers six all-weather tennis courts, which serve as home to both the women’s and men’s tennis teams.
Albright has six outdoor basketball courts which are lit for evening play by intramurals and basketball camps. These courts were built in 2009 on the site of the former Armory Building. The courts can also be used for overflow parking during large events on campus.
In July 2010, John K. Roessner III ’61 gave Albright College a $1 million gift through the John K. Roessner III Trust to provide the start-up costs of intercollegiate lacrosse for men and women at Albright. The Board named a new multi-purpose playing field, “Roessner Field,” to honor his generous support.
John K. Roessner III ’61 Hall: The Center for Business and Civic Leadership
With 30,000 square feet of state-of-the-art classrooms, offices and meeting spaces, Roessner Hall is home to the economics and business, accounting, and political science departments, as well as the Center for Excellence in Local Government and the offices of the Accelerated Degree Program.
Schumo Center for Fitness and Well-Being
Built in 2007 with generous gifts from Margaret K. Schumo, the Schumo Center for Fitness and Well-Being offers programming for students, staff and the community, as well as a full array of cardio and free-weight equipment. The center is also home to Peg’s Café, which offers healthy foods and drinks.
Berks Community Media Center
The Berks Community Media Center is home to Albright College radio, WXAC 91.3 FM. The center serves the greater Reading community and strengthens robust experiential initiatives with students in the communications, digital communications and digital video arts programs.