The mission of the Albright Experience Program is to offer programming that highlights and emphasizes the linkages between the liberal arts as embodied by Albright’s General Studies curriculum and the scholarly, intellectual, cultural, and political life of the world outside the walls of the college.
Who Can Propose Experience Events?
- Events can ONLY be proposed by ALBRIGHT faculty, staff, and students (people directly employed by Albright or Albright students).
- Student sponsored events must have the approval of and contact information for a faculty, staff or administrative advisor.
Proposals must be submitted by the 15th of the month prior to the month in which the event will take place. For example, a proposal for an event in December must be submitted no later than November 15th. LATE SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Criteria for the Acceptance of Your Event
Events that are approved for Experience credit meet the following criteria:
- Content of the event significantly enriches the academic, intellectual, and cultural life of the college community.
- Events must be more than informational sessions or seminars – they should involve any of the following: the presentation of the results of research or inquiry of some kind (though not exclusively scholarly); the performance of a scholarly, cultural, or artistic production; or the critical engagement of some facet of the liberal arts. The Committee intends to broadly interpret these categories when appropriate, but it is nevertheless critical that applicants demonstrate that their event supports the Albright Experience mission.
- Is not exclusionary of any campus constituency.
- Lasts a minimum of 60 minutes.
- the title and topic of the event
- a detailed description of the event – this is a formal application, so please write the description accordingly – sloppy and haphazard descriptions will be rejected (you may resubmit the proposal for reconsideration within one week of notice of rejection).
- if you are proposing a speaker or performer from off campus, please provide adequate information on the qualifications of that speaker and how those qualifications support the Experience Event mission statement.
- justification for how the event helps to fulfill the mission of the experience program by enriching the cultural, intellectual, and/or academic life of the college. Poorly or superficially articulated justifications will be rejected (you may resubmit the proposal for reconsideration within one week of notice of rejection).
- the date and time
- a confirmed venue
- contact information for the event sponsor
- admission fee, if applicable
- request for funding, if applicable
A note on films and sports as experience events.
Films will only be accepted as experience events if the requesting group has received exhibition rights AND has arranged for a speaker to discuss the film.
Sporting events will be accepted as experience events on the condition that there is an accompanying lecture AND that the requesting group has adequately justified the events on the proposal form.
A note on “Boxing”
Events will no longer be boxed. In the past the Experience criteria restricted credits for similar events — students could earn credit for only one performance in a series of concerts, for example. All events will now be evaluated as stand-alone events.
Your submission form must be submitted on or before the deadline. Please use the online proposal submission link for all proposals.
Funding from Experience CAN be used for:
- buying rights to show a film
Funding from Experience CANNOT be used for:
- to raise other funds for an organization
- capital expenses
You MUST include a budget that describes how the funding will be spent in the appropriate space on the proposal.
Funding is limited and allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Early submission is encouraged if funding is being requested. Student groups should show evidence that they have also requested funding from SAC.
PLEASE NOTE: All paperwork for funding (e.g. expense reports or check requests with receipts) must be submitted to Kelly Tanger in Masters Hall within 30 days or the funds will be returned to the pool for other funding requests.
For more information, please contact Melissa Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org.