Student Employment | Albright College

Student Employment

The following departments are looking for students to work during the 2017-2018 academic year. If you are interested, please refer to the instructions in each position below as soon as possible. We are also encouraging you to be proactive in seeking a position in a department that interests you. We are unable to guarantee a student job as openings are based on availability.

If you have any questions, please contact Emma Alvarez at

Albright College Summer Conferences Office Assistants

Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the Albright College Summer Conference Office. Please read the job description and duties prior to completing an application.

A completed application must include the applicant information form, three recommendations, and a resume.

The application and recommendations are to be returned together with your resume no later than Friday, March 2nd, 2018 by 5p.m. through email to:

Resident Assistant

Description:  Residential Life would like to provide you updates on the Resident Assistant hiring process. Please see below for FAQs and information about how a student can apply to become an RA. We will also appreciate your support in encouraging students to apply!

What does an RA do?

The main responsibility of an RA is to be a resource for students in their residence halls. This includes community building, programming, serving on duty, and other important initiatives.

When is the RA Application period?

New RA Applications are currently open and will be available until February 18th.

Where is the RA Application located?

New RA Applications can be found on the Residential Life aLink page using the link

What happens after the application is submitted?

After submitting the application, eligible RA applicants will sign up for an interview time and a group process session in the Residential Life Office.

What are the requirements to be an RA?

Applicants must be a current student, in good standing with the College, have a minimum 2.5 GPA, and have lived on campus for at least one semester prior to August 2018.

What are the benefits of being an RA?

Successful candidates will have various opportunities for personal and professional growth, build meaningful relationships with residents and peers. In addition, RAs receive a stipend and have their room costs covered.

What if a student asks for a reference?

As part of the application process, new applicants are asked to obtain a reference from a staff member and a faculty member. If you are listed as a reference, you will receive an email link to the reference form. If you would like to complete the reference form as soon as a student asks you to be their reference, please feel free to do so. The form can be found after signing in here,

Contact:  If you have any additional questions, please contact Amanda Matto at or Chancey Page at

Early Learning Center Assistant Group Supervisor

Help to supervise children ages 2 months – 6 years while playing, learning, sleeping, and performing routine tasks such as handwashing, toileting, and meal times.  Student in the Human Services field preferred. (This position is located at 3040 Kutztown Road, Reading, about one mile from Albright College.)

Contact: Apply online at or call 610-921-9324.

Lifeguards and/or Swim Lesson Instructors

Lifeguarding involves patron surveillance, ensuring the safety of patrons who utilize the pool for recreational purposes, and enforcing rules and regulations. A Swim Instructor is responsible for teaching children and adult swim lessons in the Learn to Swim Program.

Contact: Email Michael Hay, or Kathy Cook,

Athletics Events Staff

Assist with home games including football, field hockey, lacrosse, soccer, volleyball, and basketball games.  Duties include but are not limited to the following:  ticket taker or seller, assist with game day operations including floor sweeping and ushering; game day set up and take down.  Operation of scoreboard/message/board/rotating signage;  monitoring of entry gates; assist with concessions or in kiosk.

Contact: See Adam Van Zelst in the Athletic Department.

Public Safety Student Officers

Dispatching calls to officers on the radio, answering phone calls and taking clear/detailed messages, video surveillance monitoring, issuing/returning keys/contractor cards, logging lost and found property, managing campus operator phone, assisting with ID cards, maintaining a detailed and accurate daily activity log each day, checking emergency phones, assisting with locking/opening buildings on campus, working special events. The Department of Public Safety is open 365 days per year, 24/7. All shifts are available and hours are flexible. We are looking for professional, reliable, dedicated, honest and enthusiastic students to work in the department. Criminal Justice majors are strongly encourage to apply.

Follow this link to apply


The ALC is currently seeking new tutors for Albright’s internationally certified Peer Tutoring Program.  Peer Tutors are viewed as academic leaders who are offered a unique opportunity to make a difference on campus.  All peer tutors must meet the following minimum requirements: completion of at least one semester at Albright, overall GPA of 3.00 or higher, a B+ or higher in the course(s) one will tutor, and good standing with the college.

Contact:  Qualified students are encouraged to apply and request an interview with the ALC Director, all hired tutors will participate in new tutor training sessions which are designed to increase tutoring success.  For more information about the position, please email, call 610-921-7662, or stop by the ALC, which is located in the lower level of the Administration/Library building.

Student Employment FAQs

How do I get a job on campus?

You need to complete the Student Employment Job Request application that is enclosed in your packet or included with this information and return it to the Office of Human Resources. They in will match your application with the department request for student workers and arrange an interview. We are unable to guarantee a student job as openings are based on availability. It is in your best interest to begin the process early.

Why do I want to work?

  • You will gain experience
  • Earn money
  • Have a job that is arranged according to your class schedule
  • No transportation expenses
  • Earn at least minimum wage
  • You will cultivate real work references

Where could I be assigned?

You could be assigned to the following departments depending on the departmental needs: Academic or Administrative Office, Computer Labs (Information Technology department) Campus Center, Food Services, Library, Athletics, Aquatics, etc.

How is that determined?

Assignments are based on your skills or interests and whether you qualify for FWS (Federal Work-Study) or Self Help. FWS is the federally funded College Work-Study Program and Self- Help Program is the Albright employment program. The only difference is in the funding source and bookkeeping records for the Financial Aid and Controller’s Offices.

Do you need to know my special skills?

Yes, so the Office of Human Resources can match you up with a department

When and where do students get paid?

Students are paid on a bi-weekly basis and some paychecks will be sent to the department or it can be picked up at the Cashier’s window in the Administration building. A pay schedule is available in the department offices.

Why didn’t I get paid?

There could be several reasons:

  • Did you fill our your W-4 and I-9 forms with the Office of Human Resources?
  • Federal regulations require that these forms be completed before you can work and be paid.
  • Was your time sheet turned in on time? Late time sheets are processed with the next pay period.
  • Was your time sheet complete when it was sent to the Controller’s Office? Did your supervisor submit the time sheet on the appropriate form? Incomplete and incorrect time sheets are delayed until corrected.

Where do I get time sheets?

Time sheets can be requested through your supervisor.

Can I work during vacations or finals?

Yes. You are able to work during this time and up to 40 hours maximum.

How many hours per week can I work?

You are allowed to work up to 20 hours a week, however keep in mind that your total earnings cannot exceed the amount of Work-Study Award in your most recent Financial Aid award letter.

Can I have more than one job?

Yes. You are allowed to have more than one job as long as it does not exceed the 20 hours per week allocation. You should also let your supervisor know you are working in another department so they can plan how many hours to expect from you.

What about the spring semester?

If you are keeping the same job that you had in the fall semester, you only need to confirm your spring work schedule with your supervisor. If you have a new job in the spring (or any time you get a new job) you will need to have your supervisor complete a Student Employment Approval form prior to your first work day.

Is work-study guaranteed every year?

No. You are awarded Work-Study based on financial needs as determined yearly. You must complete your financial aid application on time every year and continue to show eligibility for Work-Study.

Things to Consider

The Interview

The Department may request that you to participate in a brief interview for the student worker vacancy. This will be a good opportunity to test your job interview skills. If you are unsure of your interviewing skills, please contact the Office of Career Development for assistance. At the interview the duties and responsibilities of the job will be discussed as well as any special rules of the department. During the interview, the supervisor should provide you with a list of expectations, such as:

  • The number of hours they would like you to work
  • How you should keep track of your time
  • Specific details of the duties
  • Causes for dismissal
  • Student pay rateIn addition, some duties involve access to sensitive or confidential information. The supervisor may discuss his/her policy on confidentiality with you and may ask you to sign a confidentiality agreement prior to beginning work in the department.

Working for a relative?

If a student worker is requested to work in the same department with a family member, the immediate supervisor needs to direct this to the Office of Human Resources for approval prior to making a work assignment.

Can I be fired?

Your supervisor may dismiss you from a position if you are not adhering to the agreement you made when you were hired. The dismissal will be reported to the Financial Aid and the Office of Human Resources. While we will work with you in finding another job, we cannot guarantee placement if the reason for dismissal is negligence on your part of lack of cooperation with the supervisor of the department.