Now accepting secure online payments with your credit card or electronic check!
PLEASE NOTE that online payment is preferred for online registrations for events that include a fee. Please also note the registration choices available for each event. If you need help or more information, please contact Andrea Weist!
ALL CLASSES HELD AT ROESSNER HALL – UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED
Registrations include facilities, and/or food, refreshments. Accordingly, registrations must be cancelled no later than 5 days prior to the event. CELG reserves the right to charge registration fees for cancellations after the 5-day window.
Berks County Water & Sewer Association’s
Educational Tour and Meeting
For Water/wastewater Stafff and Members
Reading Area Water Authority
Water Treatment Facility
108 Berkley Road, Reading, PA 19605
May 17, 2018 – 7:30-10 a.m.
Legislation and Regulatory Update
Overview and History of RAWA Treament Plant
Control and Monitoring of SCADA Systems
Impacts of Upstream Dischargers
Proactive Approach to Chlorine Residual Requirement
1 Conference Credit Available for Water/wastewater Operators
The Zoning Basics Course
Co-sponsored by the Berks County Planning Commission, the Berks County Bar Association And the PA State Association of Boroughs
Thursdays, May 17, 24, 31, 2018
6:30 – 9:30 PM
Albright College, Roessner Hall
13th and Rockland Streets
Instructors certified by the Pennsylvania Municipal Planning Education Institute (PMPEI) teach the course.
Class Fee $95
Refreshments for all 3 classes $15
CLE Credits add $65
Realtor® CE add $35
Please make check payable to “Albright College”.
Registration: Pre-registration is required.
Master Planner Certification & Continuing Education Units
Participants will receive 9 hours of credit toward Master Planner certification by the Berks County Planning Commission, attorneys are eligible for 9 Continuing Legal Education Units (CLE), and real estate appraisers, brokers and salesmen are eligible for 7 continuing education credits.
Zoning is the most complex and provocative topic in planning, and this “nuts and bolts” course stresses the fundamentals of developing a sound zoning ordinance using the authority in the Municipalities Planning Code. The course starts with the evolution of zoning in the early 20th century and how it shapes the way zoning is practiced in 21st century Pennsylvania. Course topics include:
- the relationship of zoning to comprehensive plans and the need for them to be consistent
- understanding the terms used in zoning
- key issues in drafting the zoning ordinance and map
- adopting and amending ordinances
- zoning ordinance administration
- the use of MPC authority for joint municipal zoning, planned residential development and traditional neighborhood development options in ordinances
Built into the course are mapping exercises, reviews of zoning ordinance provisions, and discussion of problem situations.
The course is designed to educate the participants in –
- the importance of the “police power” as the foundation of zoning
- key provisions of the PA MPC pertaining to zoning
- the steps in drafting a zoning ordinance
- basic and advanced techniques for regulating land use
- the procedure for enacting and amending zoning ordinances
- meeting their obligation to provide for all land uses
- The Evolution and Foundation of Zoning in PA
- The Authority to Zone in the MPC
- Steps in Drafting a Zoning Ordinance
- Advanced Zoning Techniques
- Ordinance Enactment and Amendment
- Administering the Zoning Ordinance
- Monitoring the Zoning Ordinance
- Ethical Issues in Zoning
Real Estate CE Approval Number: RECE003870/Schlicher Kratz
CELG Summer Picnic
Friday, June 1, 2018
Maier’s Grove, Blandon
Open to families of all townships and boroughs. Tickets are $20 each
and include: chicken, ribs, picnic-style sides and cold beverages.
Sponsored by the Berks County Boroughs Association.
|Center for Excellence in Local Government
C/O Albright College
P.O. Box 15234
Reading, PA 19612-5234
Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Copyright © 2018 Center for Excellence in Local Government, County of Berks, Pennsylvania. All Rights Reserved.