Schumo Center for Fitness and Well-Being
The Schumo Center for Fitness & Well-Being is pleased to announce our re-opening on Monday, July 6!
Dedicated to delivering a healthy way of life to the Albright community and to ensuring the health and safety of all of our patrons and staff members, we are writing to make you aware of our carefully planned and phased approach to our re-opening. This re-opening of our facilities and services has been guided by consultation with experts in the field, review of CDC guidelines, and in compliance with governmental orders and PA state regulations. It includes extensive cleaning protocols, enhanced procedures, including a reservation system, and social distancing practices within our facility. Details are listed below our hours of operation.
Please note that these protocols are subject to change and we will do our very best to update you regarding those changes.
Upon our opening on Monday, July 6, the following safety precautions will be in place:
- Patrons will be asked to follow signs and floor decals located throughout the facility to ensure the safety of all. You will notice increased spacing between equipment and within the facility to promote social distancing.
- Locker rooms are only available for swimmers to change after using the pool, showers are unavailable at this time.
- All patrons will be asked to complete a new facility waiver upon their first visit back.
- During every visit to the facility, you will need your temperature taken with a contactless thermometer and complete a brief symptoms checker that can be done in person or on the Healthy Together app.
- You must reserve your space in group fitness classes or aquatic fitness classes by calling 610-929-6715. The racquetball and basketball courts are not available at this time.
- You must reserve your spot in the pool for lap swimming since the pool capacity is very limited. Please call 610 921-7857 reserve pool time. Pool patrons must enter and exit via the Birch Street door (pool area) and leave ID card and Silver Sneakers card at the pool desk for membership verification. All swimmers will have temperature taken with a contactless thermometer and complete a brief symptoms checker that can be done in person or on the Healthy Together app.
- Please practice excellent personal hygiene and help us keep all of you safe! You will be given a towel when you arrive. Please use it to wipe down all equipment before and after usage. Our staff will be cleaning all high-touch areas frequently, but this is an extra layer of protection. We have increased our availability of spray bottles and hand-sanitizing stations throughout the facility.
- Participants are required to wear a cloth mask within all areas of the building including the fitness center, common areas such as reception area, hallways, and restrooms. Masks are required within the pool area but can be removed upon entering the pool. If you have an underlying health issue that prevents you from exercising with a cloth covering safely, face shields will be available for purchase at the front desk for $5 and face masks for $1.
To promote, educate, and inspire all members of our Albright community on the importance of individual health and well-being while providing a variety of programs aimed at maintaining and enhancing physical performance, fitness, health, wellness, and the quality of life.
Hours of Operation
Fitness Center Hours
Effective February 15 – May 28 2021
Monday & Wednesday: 8am – 10pm
Tuesday & Thursday: 6am – 10pm
Friday: 8am – 7pm
Saturday: 10am – 3pm
Sunday: 12pm – 7pm
Effective February 15 – May 28 2021
Monday/Wednesday: 6am – 10am
Tuesday/Thursday: 8am – 9am
Friday 6am – 9am
Monday-Friday: 11:30am – 1pm
Saturday: 1pm – 4pm
The Schumo Center for Fitness and Well-Being is located on North 13th Street, between Bern and Richmond Streets. Parking is available both in front of the center and in the center parking lot, which is accessible from 12th Street.
Membership is free for Students, Staff, and Faculty and a current College I.D. card is required to enter the facility.
Community fitness and pool membership is available. If interested, please view our pricing information.
Please call our front desk with any questions regarding programming. 610-929-6715
Fall 2020 Fitness Schedule & Descriptions
|Fit @ 50 Circuit Training – 9:00AM w/ Brenda||Aqua Fit – 9:00AM w/ Brenda||Fit @ 50 Circuit Training – 9:00AM w/ Brenda||Aqua Fit @ 50 – 9:00AM w/ JoAnn & Brenda||Aqua Fit – 9:00AM w/ Brenda|
|Silver Sneakers Classic – 10:30AM w/ Sheri||Arthritis Exercise Program – 10:15AM w/ Brenda||Silver Sneakers Classic – 10:30AM w/ Sheri||Line Dancing – 10:15AM w/ Jean||Silver Sneakers Classic – 10:30AM w/ Sheri|
|Spin Xpress – 5PM w/ Drea||Spin Into Shape – 5PM w/ Drea||Spin Into Shape – 5PM w/ Donna|
*You must sign up for spin classes (Spin Xpress & Spin Into Shape) – 610-929-6715
Sign Up Online for Commit To Be Fit
For SPS students, faculty, and administrative staff members participating from our satellite campus locations, you can utilize your fitness facility and send a personalized log of your 15 exercise sessions to firstname.lastname@example.org upon completion.
The goal of the Intramural Program at Albright College is to provide participants with a comprehensive array of fun and unique activities, a friendly and knowledgeable staff, and a safe playing environment. All activities will be social, competitive, and sporting in nature while encouraging and promoting the value of fair play and a healthy lifestyle.
Fall IM Sport include: Flag Football, Soccer, Floor Hockey, and Volleyball
Spring IM Sports include: Basketball, Dodgeball, and Softball
Nutrition & Healthy Eating
Fitness Consultation/Evaluation (30 minutes)
Fitness trainer will administer body fat testing; establish weight, measurements, and flexibility testing. These results are used to develop or advance a fitness routine and/or target goals for future assessments.
Individualized Exercise Program (60 Minutes)
A fitness program will be designed from the results of the fitness evaluation and developed to aid the exerciser in meeting their specific fitness goals. Please come dressed for exercise, each exercise will be explained and participant will be asked to demonstrate.
To set-up an appointment, please contact the front desk at 610-929-6715.
Alison J. Burke,
Director of the Schumo Center for Fitness and Well-Being
Alison has 20 years of experience in a variety of commercial and medical fitness settings including cardiac rehabilitation, post physical therapy and conditioning, and pulmonary rehabilitation. She started off in 1987-1992 as group fitness instructor and fitness specialist in the commercial fitness setting while completing a Bachelor of Science degree in Exercise Physiology from West Chester University in 1994. She completed an internship in Honolulu, HI and continued to work as an Aquatic & Fitness Specialist at Prins AquaTherapy and Rehab Center from 1993-1995.
From 1995-1996, Alison worked as an Exercise Specialist for the Ocean County Medical Center in the Life Sports and Fitness Center where she was responsible for mainstreaming participants of cardiac, physical, and pulmonary rehabilitation into a general fitness program. In 1996-2007, she continued developing her career in commercial/corporate fitness as owner of Jersey Girl Fitness in Leesport, Pa., offering consultations on corporate wellness and fitness programming, consultations on ergonomics in the workplace, and individualized exercise prescription for private clients within the home and/or health club setting.
Alison is entering her 13 year at Albright College with the up and coming 2019-2020 academic year. During this time on campus, she has completed her Master’s Degree in Education (Class of 2017) and is very proud to call herself an Albright College Alumni. She is responsible for the development of a robust schedule of fitness related programs for our entire campus community. In addition to that, Alison also co-chairs the President’s Advisory Council on Wellness. This council is responsible for overall promotion and programming of all aspects of health and wellness for all students, staff, and faculty at Albright College. Alison is very passionate about educating and motivating our Albright Community on the many ways to stay healthy, fit, and well. She is also coordinator of the club, intramural, and recreational sports programs on campus. She serves in an advisory role to the Albright Snow Sports and the Big Adventure Domain. These two student groups organize a variety of ski/snowboarding trips to local ski resorts and opportunities for our students to hike and participate in outdoor adventure trips. When she can’t be found teaching yoga or hosting a Healthy Happy hour on campus- you can find her hitting the slopes with our students!
Alison can be reached at email@example.com or 610-929-6711.
Karen graduated from Albright College with a bachelor of science degree in business administration, and she has worked at Albright College since 2007. Karen provides administrative support and coordinates community memberships and renewals at the Schumo Center for Fitness and Well-Being. She enjoys interacting with students and community members every day at the Schumo Center.
In her spare time, Karen enjoys spending time with her family and friends.
If you are a current Albright student looking for employment, please fill out the application here.