a

The Albright College Science Center

Click Here to watch a time-lapse video of the construction of Albright's new Science Center
captured by the construction web cam since May 2008!

Science Center Updates

In an effort to keep the Albright Community and our neighbors informed on the project, periodic updates will be posted here.
Please click on a date below to open an update from that time period.

These files require Adobe Acrobat

 

Albright College began construction on its new Science Center in spring 2008. The project will include the construction of a four-story addition to the existing Merner-Pfeiffer Hall of Science and the renovation of the existing historic building, constructed in 1929 and added to and renovated in 1965.

"The project is designed to preserve the character, dignity and history of our grand old Hall of Science while adding to the ways that Albright shines when it comes to attracting and retaining top-notch faculty, staff and students," said Lex O. McMillan, president of Albright College.

The new building will facilitate Albright's hallmark ability to allow students to combine fields of learning to create an individualized education. Faculty also work collaboratively, crossing disciplines and sharing instrumentation, and conduct collaborative research with students.

"Science at Albright has been one of the College's pillars of excellence for a century and a half, and Albright has produced more than 1,000 physicians, researchers and teachers in the sciences," McMillan added. "Our new facility will support 21st century science and the interdisciplinary teaching and learning of science that is a way of life at Albright. We have outstanding faculty and instrumentation that exceeds many of our peers'. Now we will have the kind of facility that will be commensurate with the high quality of our faculty, our program, and the sophisticated equipment our students use.

"We are grateful for the magnificent support from our trustees for the Science Center, and the leadership of Sue Perrotty and Andy Maier for making this much-needed facility a reality," McMillan said. Perrotty and Maier, Albright trustees, co-chaired Crossing Boundaries: The Campaign for Albright, and the Berks County Capital Campaign for the Science Center.

Albright offers the following science programs: biology, biotechnology, chemistry, biochemistry, physics, optics, psychobiology, environmental science, environmental chemistry and environmental studies, and pre-professional programs in pre-med, pre-dentistry, and pre-veterinary medicine.

The Science Center project will add 41,635 square feet of state-of-the-art lab space to the 37,019 square feet of renovated space, for a total of 78,654 square feet. The addition will wrap the west and north sides of the 1965 addition to the original Science Hall.

Architects for the project are Lord, Aeck and Sargent of Atlanta. Preconstruction services have been provided by IMC Construction Company of Malvern, Pa. Construction will take approximately 28 months and cost an estimated $27 million.

The Merner-Pfeiffer Hall of Science was built in 1929 in anticipation of the merger of Schuylkill College and Albright College, Myerstown. An addition and renovation were completed in 1961

Site Plan for
New Science Center

(click photo for larger version)
East Elevation of
New Science Center

(click photo for larger version)
West Elevation of
New Science Center

(click photo for a larger version)
North Elevation of
New Science Center

(click photo for a larger version)