Holiday Meals Can Be Healthy
The holiday season may bring visions of festive feasts with many of your favorite foods. Try some of these easy tips to help you achieve a happy and healthy holiday season:
- Satisfy your taste buds by enjoying cranberries, hot cocoa and stuffing which are all good sources of antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect our bodies against cancer, heart disease and aging.
- Lower the calorie and fat content of recipes by using applesauce in place of half of the butter or margarine in muffins or quick breads.
- Use skim milk instead of whole milk in all recipes.
- Try making your pies with just one crust on the top.
- Remember that alcohol increases appetite and contributes calories. Try alternating alcoholic beverages with water to reduce those extra calories AND the chance of a hangover!!
- Take the time to get some exercise. Enjoy a nice, long walk with family and friends.