Disability Documentation Guidelines/Standards
Testing Accommodation Form
Technology Resources
Foreign Language Requirement
Frequently Asked Questions
Information For Parents and Guardians
Classroom Recording Policy
Appeal Procedures
Information for Faculty & Staff
Academic Learning Center
Gable Health Center
Counseling Center
Student Life

Disability Services: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What services do you offer to students with disabilities?

Students with disabilities can receive reasonable accommodations, auxiliary aids, and services, per the ADAAA.  Accommodations are created for each individual student based on their documentation and are provided on a case-by-case basis.  The best way to determine what a student’s accommodations will be is to provide documentation, which meets the documentation standards, to the Director of Disability Services, Yuriko Beaman. 

The most common accommodation is extended time for exams.  However, this accommodation is not ideal for all students and recent research suggests that this accommodation may not be the “fix all” for all students with disabilities. Other accommodations include FM systems, access to ADA bathrooms for residential students, permission to record lectures, and access to text to speech software.

Albright does not provide personal attendants, devices, or services.  “Institutions are not required to provide personal devices and services such as attendants, individually prescribed devices, such as eyeglasses, readers for personal use or study, or other services of a personal nature, such as tutoring.” Copied from number 6 of the Transition Guide from the Department of Education

Do you offer a program for students with disabilities?   Who works with students with disabilities?

Albright does not currently offer a program for students with disabilities.  The Director advocates for students with disabilities and ensures the provision of reasonable accommodations.  She is a full-time staff member with a Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology.  She has experience with the diagnosing learning and other disabilities (psychoeducational assessment) and has been working with students with disabilities since 2005.

Who counsels students with learning disabilities during registration, orientation, and course selection?

Students are encouraged to share their accommodations with their advisor so that their needs can be carefully considered when selecting courses.  Students can meet with Yuriko Beaman to discuss course selection after schedules have been created.

Whom can parents contact if they have concerns during the academic year?

Parents are encouraged to assist their sons and daughters to develop self-advocacy skills.  Students who are building self-advocacy skills can ask their parents to participate in some conversations with Ms. Beaman.  However, the student must always be involved in the conversation. This ensures that the student is an active participant in the process.

Is tutoring an available accommodation? What kind of tutoring is available?

Tutoring is not an ADAAA accommodation.  However, Albright offers tutoring through the Academic Learning Center and the Writing Center for all students!  Students should contact the Academic Learning Center or the Writing Center directly for more information.  The staff members of the ALC and the WC are kind, helpful, and dedicated to student success.  Please see their websites for further information.

Contact Information:

Yuriko Beaman, M.S.
Director of Disability Services
Albright College
fax: 610-929-6793