Disability Documentation Guidelines/Standards
Testing Accommodation Form
Technology Resources
Foreign Language Requirement
Frequently Asked Questions
Information For Parents and Guardians
Classroom Recording Policy
Appeal Procedures
Information for Faculty & Staff
Academic Learning Center
Gable Health Center
Counseling Center
Student Life

Appeal or Grievance Procedures

Institutions of higher education have the obligation to make informed decisions about accommodations. These decisions may not always agree with recommendations from outside professionals or with prior Individualized Educational Programs (IEPs) and 504 Plans.

Students who do not agree with the accommodation decisions of the Disability Services office should follow the process outlined below.

A student who disagrees with the appropriateness of a decision regarding accommodations should speak with the Director of Disability Services to resolve the issue.  If a satisfactory resolution cannot be reached, the student should appeal to the Enrollment Development Committee (EDC), via a letter to the Dean of Undergraduate Studies.  If, however, the accommodation decision under appeal was one that originated with the EDC, for example denial of a foreign language substitution, then the next appeal should instead be directed to the Provost, again via a letter to the Dean. If a satisfactory resolution is still not reached, the student should then request an appointment with the College’s Affirmative Action Officer, who is the Director of Human Resources, for a final determination.